Main menu:

Week Ending 14.06,.4

Celebrating Eleanor’s 50 years of scouting
The Executive Committee have congratulated Eleanor Ross on her remarkable achievement of 50 years’ service to Scouting.
Eleanor’s association with Scouting began with the 99th Group meeting in Springfield Primary School in Berwick Road Greenock where she was an Assistant Cub Scout Leader before becoming Cub Scout Leader.
From 1978 to 1988 she became Cub Scout Leader at the 101st Cubs who met in King’s Glen School.
She was an Adult Leader Trainer for 10 years from 1986 to 1996 and ADC Cub Scouts from 1988 to 2005 until she joined the Scout Fellowship (now known as Scout Active Support) where she currently serves as Appointments Secretary and District Secretary.
Her time in Scouting is packed with fond memories, some of which she shared with the Committee this week.
These included the mystery train tour in 1976 which only managed to keep the secret as far as Paisley – where the station announcer called over the Tannoy that the train was heading to North Berwick.
However, although that cat was out of the bag, there was another surprise for the youngsters. Hurricane Haggis put in an appearance. Hurricane Haggis resembled the then famous wrestler Big Daddy and was something of a mysterious mascot for local Scouts. It’s claimed that to this day, no one knows who was behind the mask.
Eleanor worked tirelessly in the Larkfield area and many young and not so young former Cubs are indebted to her commitment to scouting.
The wider District all knew her smile and narration of the annual Cub Promise at the Founders Day parade when she ADC Cubs from 1988 to 2005. She certainly has lived up to that and done her best for many Cubs over the years.
She was awarded the Silver Wolf in 2004, the highest award in the Scouting Association.
On reaching such a remarkable milestone Eleanor was quick to point out: “I was very young when I started though.”
Fun and games in the park for the 73rd Beavers
A great outing was had by all to enjoy a sunny evening.
Radio communication for the 85th Cubs
85th Cubs were visited this week by Greenock and District Radio Club. They really enjoyed learning Morse code and using the phonetic alphabet as well as sending Morse code messages.
Speaking in the radio was the highlight of the night. The Cubs had a great night and enjoyed earning their Communicators Badge. Many thanks to the Radio Club.
Community Week round up

Many areas of the community are looking much brighter following an impressive effort during Community Week.
Scouts were urged to do ‘one more thing’ during the week to improve their local area. And, this year, they teamed up with the newly opened B&Q in Port Glasgow who provided equipment for the work.
Young people from all sections of the 32nd Group worked hard with their community partner, Wellington Allotments in Greenock over five nights. This is the third year the Allotments have been the centre of the Community Week activity.
Work was carried out to clear areas of overgrown paths, to plant and general handy work within the allotment.
The Northface Explorer unit which is attached to the group also took part by creating an insect hotel and fixing bird boxes to trees. Throughout, 94 young people and 12 leaders took part, providing 250 hours of much needed work to the large allotment area.
The Allotment committee has already booked the group for next year’s community week, which also falls in with the 32nd group’s centenary celebrations.
Meanwhile, 1st Gourock Cubs spent last Thursday evening armed with gloves and litter pickers for a clean-up of a section of Lunderston Bay.
The Cubs had a great time making the beach look better and managed to collect six bin bags of rubbish – with the most interesting item being a single trainer.
District Expedition Challenge success
Scouts from across the District spent last weekend working hard to earn their Expedition Challenge in the remote and scenic hills around Glen Kinglass.
Four walking parties set out to camp at different locations on Friday night, some camping at Kilchurn Castle on Loch Awe, and others camping in Glen Etive.
The parties carried full packs for lightweight camping, and walked through the Saturday to meet up in a wild site near a burn in Glen Kinglass, where they sat out heavy rain in their tents.
The weather improved on Sunday morning, and the parties separated again. Some followed the coastal paths along the side of Glen Etive, including a route North between Glen Kinglass and Glen Etive, and a South route to Taynuilt.
Over the weekend each party covered a distance of around 17miles and climbed 2200ft through hills – no small feat with a heavyweight rucksack.
The weekend finished with everyone being presented with their Expedition Challenge, and with that several have completed their Chief Scout Gold Award – a great way to complete the most prestigious award in the Scout section, and an achievement for all to be very proud of.