9th Renfrew & Inverclyde
Our records of the 1930′s show that the 9th Cubs & Scouts originally met in the Union St Church hall and ceased before 1948.
They reformed in the late 1960′s in St Joseph’s School initially under the leadership of Murdo McCowan followed by Ron Jewar in 1970. Ron was soon assisted by Sam Thompson who continued as Scout Leader until 1983. During the 70′s, successful camps were held in places such as Templar’s Park, Aberdeen and Snettisham in Norfolk.
In the 1983, Eddie Leonard became Scout Leader assisted by Tommy Travers who soon became the Venture Scout Leader. In 1985, the Scouts and Venture Scouts held a Summer Camp at Spean Bridge. By 1988, Vic Bowes was in charge of the Scouts and continued until 1991 when the Troop disbanded.
The Cubs prospered under leaders such as Cathie McLaughlin, Vic Bowes, Eleanor Ross, Ian Thompson, Elaine Branchfield, Mrs M. Barnes & Mrs E. Mulholland. Around 1983/84 the Cub Pack began to meet in St. Joseph’s Church hall. The Pack finally closed around 2005 – 2006.
During the late 90′s. Elaine Branchfield also ran the Beaver Colony for a few years.
Below are photographs of the Pack and Troop taken in 1970
We would like to hear from any former members who have information or photographs.