75th Renfrew & Inverclyde
The 75th Renfrew & Inverclyde Scout Group was first registered as a Sea Scout Group in 1943 and met in Ladyburn School. The Leaders were E. Salmon, D Yell and T Yandell. After a few years, the meeting place was changed to the Finnart School where the Sea Scout Group lapsed in 1950.
In 1958, the Group was restarted in the Old West Kirk with initially a Cub Pack being formed under the leadership of Miss Anne Crabbe. The Scout Troop was restarted in 1960 under the Leadership of Ian Grant. The revived Group flourished and grew in strength. Other early Leaders were – Victor Clark (G.S.L.), Margaret King (Bell) and Elsa Robertson (Buchanan). Phil Lee became the Scout Leader in 1966.
In the 1970’s, Campbell Cairns took over as Scout Leader followed by Alistair Wright in the early 80’s.
In the mid 70’s, Anne Whiteford began what has become a career in Scouting. She was a Cub Leader for a number of years before moving to Glasgow where she became the Cub Leader of the 1st Glasgow Scout Group.
Her interest in Scouting was such that she gave up a successful career in Microbiology to be employed full time in Scouting. In 1990, she xcommenced worked at Gilwell Park in the Programme & Development Dept.
She moved to Geneva in 2001, for a post with the World Scout Bureau.
In this year, 2007, she has been appointed as the Executive Director of Education, Research & Development at the World Scout Bureau.
The Group closed in 1985.
We would like to hear from anyone who can supply further information or material.
Below is a photograph of the Group taken around 1960. Click on it to see a selection of other photographs.