22nd Renfrew & Inverclyde
In 1912 Mr Colin Campbell gathered together 25 keen boys who were all connected with the East End Band of Hope, and formed a Troop with himself as the Scout Leader. The troop met initially in a hut at the Old Quay Head. Initially the Troop was known as the “Cartsdyke Troop” This new Group officially titled The 22nd Renfrewshire.
At a later date the Group moved to Wellpark West Church halls and by 1928 the 22nd Group had grown to include a Cub Pack, a Scout Troop and a Rover Crew together with their own Pipe Band. An article in a local newspaper described a closing parade took place to Wellpark Parish Church with there being 90 boys and Scouters on parade. The parade assembled at the Cemetery Gate and then proceeded up Roxburgh Street to the Parish Church. This was the first outing of the Group Pipe Band.
In 1954 the Troop was revived by Mr John Dick and by 1957 was a very healthy and growing Group.
In 1957 it was reported that the 22nd had been active for more than forty years but that the Troop, Rover Crew and Pipe band had ceased to function during the Second World War. The Cub Pack had remained active during that time due to the efforts of Miss Jean Tulloch. The success of the Cub Pack is undoubtedly due to the faithful and untiring service of the Cubmaster Miss Jean Tulloch. Jean was also ADC Cubs for the Greenock District. In recognition of her dedicated service to the Scout Movement the Chief Scout , Baden Powell, awarded her the Medal of Merit in 1936. Jean held, and still holds, the record for Cub Service in Greenock District. It is impossible to estimate the number of boys who owe their introduction to Scouting to “Jean” as she has always been known.
The Troop and Cub Pack continued until 1976 when due to lack on new members the Group closed.
We would like to hear from any former members who have information or photographs